Please contact us with any questions you may have regarding the cooking of Grass Fed – Grass Finished beef, we are happy to respond.
POT ROAST or Short Ribs
- 6 lbs. Chuck or Arm Roast or 4-6 Short Ribs
- 3 medium onions – sliced
- 3 medium carrots – sliced
- 2 branches celery – sliced
- Peeled potatoes
- 1 cup Burgundy Red wine
- 2 cups beef broth or bullion
- 1/2 cup juice from canned tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp pepper, garlic powder, thyme, basil, oregano, parsley, sage, rosemary leaves
- 2 bay leaves
Salt and pepper beef generously on both sides, dredge with flour. Pour 1/4 to 1/2 cup olive oil in large pan. Heat oil, when very hot, add meat in order to sear. Brown well on both sides, add vegetables while still browning on second side. When beef has browned and vegetables are slightly cooked add seasonings. (Seasonings can be measured by cupping hand and filling cup of hand with each herb, then crushing and sprinkling over beef – Do not crush bay leaves, use whole bay leaf.)
Transfer contents to roasting pan. Add all liquids. Cover pan and bring to boil. Set in 400 degree pre-heated oven for 2 1/2 -3 hours. Check periodically.
During last half hour add potatoes (quartered or halved) to roasting pan, recover and continue cooking. When potatoes are done (pierce to check) also check to ensure beef is tender. Remove beef to cutting board or platter to serve.
Above recipe can be cooked on stove top instead of oven, Simmer on low heat and check often.
The next time you make Chili con Carne, use WindSwept Grass Fed “Stew Beef” instead of hamburger and I think you will be happy with the results. The following recipe is a mild tasting dish, but has a good flavor base and great texture, the Stew beef is very tender. You can always “bring it up a notch” by adding jalapeno, chipotle, habanero or the peppers of your choice. Contact us with any questions you may have. Thank you.
Chili con Carne with WindSwept Grass Fed Stew beef
- 2 lbs. Stew beef
- ¼ cup – Chili Powder
- 1 Tbs – Mexican Style Chili Powder
- 1 tsp – Onion Powder
- 1 tsp – Garlic Powder
- 1 – Tbs – Corn Meal
- 1/4 cup – Chocolate chips
Mix together so that Stew beef is coated
- 1 – 14 oz. can Petite diced tomatoes
- 1 – 14 oz. bag frozen Pepper Stir Fry (Assorted Stir Fry Vegetables)
- 3 – 16 oz. cans Kidney beans or any beans of your choice
- 1 – Bottle/Can of beer
- 1 – Tbs Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 – Small can Tomato paste
Mix all ingredients together in a Crock pot and cook 6 hours at High heat.